Status Symbol Auto Body
Proudly Serving Colorado Springs, CO & Surrounding Areas
CALL US TODAY: 719-227-1700
322 E Cucharras, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Mon-Fri 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM | Sat-Sun Closed

Where Skill and Experience
Meet Quality and Satisfaction
Collision and Hail Damage Experts. Lifetime Workmanship Warranty


Auto Body Repairs based in Colorado Springs, Colorado

At Status Symbol Auto Body we want you to fully understand the reasons behind all the work we perform on your vehicle. Check out these frequently asked questions about our auto body repairs in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is paintless dent repair?
A: Paintless dent repair, or PDR, is a process by which minor dents are repaired through manipulation of the metal parts of an automobile. In the PDR process the underside of the metal automotive skin is gently tapped or pushed back into its original shape without having to disturb the painted exterior surface of the metal
Q: What if my car's frame is bent?
A: The majority of cars and trucks manufactured today employ a design called unibody construction in which the body and frame are joined together. The benefits of unibody design include greater structural integrity of the vehicle and increased noise suppression.

Unfortunately the unibody construction model also means that damage to the body also translates to some degree of damage to the frame. If your vehicles frame has been bent in an accident it must be straightened to within manufacturers'' specifications. A variety of complications can arise from a bent frame depending on the severity and location of the bend.
Q: How long will my repair take to complete?
A: The amount of time it will take to repair your vehicle depends on a number of factors including the severity of the damage and the year, make and model. We are usually able to diagnose all necessary repairs before providing you with an estimate. In some cases, however, we may discover additional damage that was not detectable until interior structural areas were made accessible.
Q: I was just involved in an accident and my car suffered damage. What should I do?
A: After all legal and personal health issues have been addressed you will need to report the accident to your insurance provider in order to be given a claim number. Your insurer can also verify your deductible and advise you concerning reimbursable service including towing and rental car coverage. Once you have confirmed this information simply call us to schedule an estimate.
Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
A: We accept cash, personal and business checks, VISA®, Mastercard® and Discover® credit cards
Contact us today if you have any other questions about our auto body repair services.